What to have for breakfast when you’re at home and just starting a vegan diet? Or, you’re downtown away from the comfort of your kitchen and left to seek understanding restaurants that won’t automatically butter your toast. What’s a healthy person to do?
There are options!
1. Beans! Beans, we all know the musical fruit song, are your friends. Instead of ordering toast and eggs, most restaurants will have a baked bean option. Mind you, you will have to ask if they used: Worcestershire, bacon, butter, lard or any other animal products. Hopefully they don’t.
2. Tofu scramble. Depends where you are, some restaurants are progressive enough to have this on the menu, but if not, this could be a great on the go breakfast before rushing out the door you can make at home and use a vegan pita wrap to carry it in.
3. Oatmeal. Some restaurants will make it for you with water if you ask first. This is easy to order out and make at home. I prefer mine with cinnamon on top and dehydrated apple pieces. The wonderful thing about oatmeal is you can add any fruit. Bananas, raspberries, strawberries, mango! Imagine how lovely that would be. It’s incredibly satisfying and sticks to you the whole day.
4. Larabars. If you’re on the go and know you won’t be around vegan friendly restaurants, I HIGHLY suggest Larabars. Mat and I had a few boxes with us when travelling to San Fran and we basically survived the trip by eating them. Travelling vegan is one thing, gluten free is a whole other ball of wax. We were rather grateful for having these handy snacks, they’re very filling and healthy.
5. Protein smoothie. My personal breakfast every morning is a Sun Warrior smoothie using vanilla powder. It’s a very simple recipe: 1 scoop of Sun Warrior, 1 tbsp natural organic peanut butter, 1 handful of strawberries and 1 1/3 cup of Almond Breeze almond milk un-sweetened vanilla. I could make this raw by making my own almond milk, but this is incredibly convenient.
Just a few ideas, there are a tonne depending on how much time you have and what level of commitment you have in the morning to cook or prepare. Hope this helps.